Saturday 29 September 2007

Is that a Vespa in your shed Stan?

Now this is where the story of the winding road to the vespa dream takes a funny little sidestreet.



I moved into my very first flat in Mt Barker in the spring of 1986. My flat was in a block of 6. We all had our own carports and some had roller doors. One afternoon when I was coming home from work- my neighbour was just shutting his roller door as he was leaving. I caught a quick glimpse of what looked like an old blue Vespa in his shed. The next afternoon I was able to chat to him and found out it was indeed a Vespa, a 150cc Sprint (VLB) he was storing it for his son who was away.
We talked for more than an hour and then Stan showed me many more unique characteristics of the old scooter. We got to know each other really well, and always had something to chat about from then on. Then one day I heard a knock at the door. It was Stan, he had come over to offer me a special deal as he knew I needed some transport for a few months and he needed someone to keep his son’s Vespa
going.

Stan was unlicensed and with a bad hip, was finding it increasingly difficult to kick start the old scooter every few days to keep her running.
We agreed that I would pay for 6 months registration and all fuel in that time but could do with it as I wished.
I nearly fell over.
I stuttered, I stammered and finally thanked him with all my heart for the chance to ride an old Vespa- but also to have some transport for a few months.
As it was getting dark, he agreed to meet me Saturday morning and he’d give me a “Vespa” lesson, as with the twist handle bar gear changing, it was unlike any bike I had ever ridden.

No comments:

Post a Comment