Saturday 29 September 2007

Add Indicators

After a couple of near misses in the first few weeks of having Lola on the road, I decided to do something I dind't think I'd do to the "original" look of the scooter: adding indicators.


Something you take for granted on a normal motorbike is the ability to give a clear hand signal if you need to. You can't safely achieve this on a geared Vespa. Those reading this who are not aware of the nuances of changing gears on a Vespa, it all takes place on the left hand side handlebar grip. The gears are run by a dual cable system set up at the handlebars. It's a click back to first and then 3 forward clicks for 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. This in itself can be tricky to use after years of your left big toe doing all the work.

What it also does of course, is keeps both hands busy all the time! Imagine trying to give a safe turn signal with your hand (and either hand is a challenge when riding a Vespa) while you use the throttle and front brake with your right hand and clutch and gears with your left. Not easy to do and still give motorists around you a decent idea of where you want to go.


So, on with the blinkers.







They look so wrong on the old girl but have saved me now more than once so worth every cent.



I found the smallest but brightest ones I could and went about getting them fitted. I had the local lads in on this one in the end as the "original" wiring I got the speil about turned out to be many colours of the rainbow in all the wrong places.Confused the heck outta me!

No comments:

Post a Comment