Saturday 29 September 2007

A long time between Vespa sightings



My next Vespa experience happened at the Melbourne Zoo.




When I was about 17, a group of school friends had decided to go to the Zoo. We had paid for our tickets and were about to walk in when I heard the distinctive tones of an approaching 2 stroke, which to me almost sounded like an old farm bike. I turned around to see an older gentleman pull up and park the scooter with all the other motorbikes and push bikes. I stared in amazement as I realised it was the same scooter as in the movie, maybe a newer model, but definitely the same scooter.
By the time I realised, everyone I was with had gone inside- so had the scooter owner. I quickly shoved past people and darted through the gates to see the man entering a work area.I was able to track him down and we ended up chatting for an hour or more about the Vespa, the history and the background of his scooter and where I could find more information.


He was an Italian man named Gino, a worker at the zoo.
He bought the scooter with him when he came out here to live in the 1970’s from Italy.
I learned it was a 1974 VBC 150 Super, which ironically is the exact same model I first bought myself.He told me with a thick Italian accent, that Vespa was the Italian word for wasp.


His knowledge of the history of the Vespa amazed me- but he assured me that every Italian knew about them- as just about every Italian kid had one at some stage, as they also came in small (but powerful) 50cc models.


My love affair with the Vespa had begun- as Gino had given me the names of a couple of books to feed my fascination. Luckily I was able to talk my high school librarian into finding me the books- so I didn’t have to buy them, but I don’t think anyone else at school ever had a chance to borrow them.

No comments:

Post a Comment