Friday 13 November 2009

R1/R6 Shock

My most recent purchase was a 2002-2003 R1 rear shock from Craigslist. I paid $30, but hope to sell the linking arm for $7.50. The seller went down on his bike and was parting it. He says the shock had 8,000 miles on it and was in great condition. He asked $40 and offered $30 and he bit. On eBay, with shipping, you are looking at $35 and can buy the shocks for just under $20. You can also find the shocks for under $20 locally on Craigslist if you keep your eyes open. I watched the Bay Area Craigslist and never saw it for less than $30 and I also posted I was I wanted to buy one.

A fair price for a R1/R6 shock is $20-40 and you can usually find it locally and avoid paying shipping. Most of my fellow Lammy owners seem to have R6 shocks and I wrote them for advice on the shock, which you can read here (if you are a LCUSA member). I think if I waited a while longer I could have trimmed $10 off the price I paid. Part of me wishes I waited a little longer, but I have been looking on and off for a year now and the price was fair so I went for it.

I already own the spring and had it powder coated in black. You can see it here.

I had purchased the spring and brass bushings first. Photo is here.

It is important that you buy a 2005 or older shock to ensure it fits and follow these directions.

Note: I sold my left over swing arm for $10 in less than 24 hours on Craigslist. That brought my R1 shock cost down to $20. Though, I have seen the swing arms sell for $15-35 online and the buyer of mine said people are paying $131 at a local used parts store. So if you can sell your's for $20 and you buy the shock at $20 you will get a free shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment