Tuesday 24 November 2009

Clutch shifter purchased

I bought two items last week from Paul S. at his superstore. I bought a brass gear pulley (pre-mod) and the clutch shifter. I didn't realize that this is the second gear pulley I bought since Scooter Parts Direct sold me a "mislabeled" throttle pulley on clearance. So now I have two gear pulleys and this one is true Innocenti stock. I paid $25 for the gear pulley and $35 for the clutch perch. I believe that it is Series III and it is the later type since it uses the fatter levers (see Stickey's Manual for reference). It matches the TV switch perch shape I bought and they both use the fatter levers.


The lever hole is not oval'd out at all. It's in good shape. I need to use a razor blade and check the metal beneath the grip -- per Stickey.

I also need to confirm that this is a Series III perch from someone more experienced. It is a Series III perch, but it is "post mod" and I learned so is my switch side perch. I need pre-mod. I learned from my Mentor Mike A. that there are three types for the Series III:

Yeah that's a S3 clutch perch. Keep in mind there are 3 styles. Early, late and Indian. The Early ones have a raised point around the lever pin hole and run the flat blade type shifter rod with a splined end, later ones have the plastic pully rod and do not interchange. and Indian GP are wider at the alloy end to match the headset. From the photo your looks like an early one which would be correct for the TV.

I cut the grip off to identify it. Mike A. also taught me:

If it has a thin slot (1/8" or less) it's early, if it's 1/4" or more it's late. Another identifier for pre-mod is there is a "raised" area where the lever screw goes through (on the bottom side).

Unfortunately, both the clutch and switch perch I have do NOT have the raised area at the lever pin and are therefore post-mod and will not work with the brass pulleys I intend to use. I believe post-mod uses the plastic pulleys, but do NOT quote on that. I will try to trade or sell my perches. They are in great condition with no ovaling in the lever pin hole. The tube is clean of rust and there are no dents in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment