Thursday 3 July 2008

GPS Imports to the rescue...again!

I had all but resigned myself to the fact that this project was over when I discovered this. IE: How hard would it be to find an SS180 front hub assembly in one piece because mine is in 2!

Just as I was disconnecting the front brake assembly I noticed some lumps under the paint work. I gave the brake backing plate a tap with a wooden mallet and a fine crack appeared, you can see it just below the spring here...



I started to pick and chip away at the bog to see what had been covered up.

Eeeek..
The front hub is cracked and joined by bog (not welded at all) and 2 little screws from the front side of the backing plate.




A quick call to GPS with fingers and toes crossed (and a quick word to the Vespa Gods) paid off.

Steve has a good looking 2nd had unit for $150, all he has to do is find it amongst his treasure trove of scooter goodies and I'm in business.


Ordered so far



2nd hand hub assy -$150

Carb seals -$10

Points set -$15

Gear change tube washer-$2

Air Filter -$27







Next Order I will need


  • Speedo cable and drive pinion
  • Engine Gaskets and Oil Seals
  • SKF Bearings from local shop or my shop stock

I will be beadblasting the cases and hubs myself using a mates set up, I expect this to make them look like new!

At the moment I am having my shed lined and potbelly stove flue fixed (it's bloody windy here in SW Vic!) and when that's done I'll be back out to scooter nights in the shed but for now It's just too damn cold at night.


I'll attack the case work and hubs next


No comments:

Post a Comment