Friday 6 January 2012

Vespa World

How do you like to use your Vespa? Is it your sunny day companion for trips to the beach?

Is it your daily driver that faithfully gets you to work, school or the market? Would you consider taking it on the highway, cross country or around the world?

For months now I have been inspired, by scooter and motorcycle riders, to load up my Vespa and hit the open road. To use my Vespa to get out in the wide open spaces, see the sights, take back roads and camp out under the stars. January is hardly the time for optimal camping conditions but it's a great time to plan trips, prepare your scooter and to get your gear ready. In the next few blog entries, I'll show you exactly what I buy and how I prepare myself and the scooter for some extended scooter touring that doesn't involve hotel stays. Here are a few blogs/websites to get you excited.

Vespa360.com This guy does it all! I lost count how many pictures there is of his poor scooter with the engine out of it but keep in mind the guy took it AROUND THE WORLD! He is also on facebook and he seems to update it more often so if you need up to the minute details click here.

Round the world too adventurous for you? How about just circumnavigating the Americas? Vespanda did just that. There aren't very many English entries but his videos are worth checking out.

A journey that is part spiritual, part self discovery and punctuated by beautiful photography can be found at Vespa Vagabond This is a cross country trip from San Francisco to New York, which is something I'd love to do, preferably on the Trans America Trail but, from what I've read it can't be done from West to East.

If short day trips are more your thing then you'll sure to be inspired by Scooter in the Sticks This blog is updated frequently, which I appreciate, lets me know the journey is still going.

ADV Rider is a great site to check out too. I have a tendency to just enjoy the pictures as some of the posts can be a bit... machismo. It is a wealth of info regarding gear though.

Finally, if touring on two wheels is more of a spectator sport for you I HIGHLY recommend queuing up Long Way Round & Long way Down on your Netflix. If the Long Way series doesn't motivate you to get off the couch, nothing will!

"GPS? I don't need no stinkin' GPS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment