Saturday 7 January 2012

Strange Vespa cylinder head


Two years ago I bought a 128 cc JB-engine, a spare one for my Svalan Scooter. When I collected the engine in southern Sweden, the seller wondered if I would like to buy a Vespa engine as well. You bet! I thought it was a PX 200 engine, dirty and the piston was seized. But, the price was right.
With nothing better to do I checked it out this weekend. I managed to losen the piston after lifting the cylinder head. After a cleaning of the head I noticed that it was stamped with an item number followed by "U.S.A." and the Piaggio logo. 
So, why is it marked "USA", anyone who knows?
I'm pretty sure the engine comes from a Vespa sold here in Sweden.
Checking the engine number through Scooterhelp I discovered that it actually is a 1980 P200E engine (1977-1982), producing a healthy 12 bhp. 
An engine without a scooter, I have to think of something later on...

No comments:

Post a Comment