Thursday 28 June 2007

Reassembly slated to begin

Well the Vespa was moved to, my buddy's, Ted Witmer's, shop for reassembly. This is the first time either of us have put a Vespa back together. Heck, I didn't even take it apart as I bought in pieces. Ted has rebuilt the front end for me, including the shock and the engine was rebuilt by Christopher Markley and body painted by K&K. So all that is left is putting the beast together. I have one more big order to place and I am working on a final parts list. I suspect I have about $400-800 more in parts to finish the bike.

My family and I are going home for the summer (I'm from S.F. and my wife from Portland, OR) and won't be back until September; therefore the project will begin in the early Fall. Plus my wife freelances so it all depends on what our income when we return as we may need close to a $1,000 to finish this bike up. My goal is to have the bike road ready before Spring starts. Also, I really want to get started on restoring my 1962 Lambretta TV175, which I will rebuild the engine on first and build another blog.

Here's the general outline for reassembly flow, per recommendation from Christopher Markley:

-- Set up two sawhorses and cover them with towels. Put frame on sawhorses.
-- Install fork.
-- Install cables.
-- Install centerstand.
-- Install rear shock top mount, and let bottom dangle.
-- Put scooter on floor, with auto jack stand
under rear end. Slide engine under frame, have assistant steady the frame.
-- Install engine swing arm to frame.
-- Pivot engine up and attach shock to rear
engine mount.
-- Install tire-mounted rim to hub.
-- Lower frame so scoot sits on its two tires.
-- Proceed with rest of job.
-- Voila!

I will post an updated "budget" to what we've spent so far and when I get my final parts list together I will post that too.

I hope this blog continues to be interesting and helpful for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment